I publish widely across trans-disciplinary fields and outlets, exploring the core vectors of my research agenda.
- Austin, JL. and Leander, A. (Forthcoming). International Political Design, manuscript in preparation.
- Austin, JL. (Forthcoming). Small Worlds of Violence: A Global Grammar for Torture, manuscript in preparation
- Austin, JL. (2021). Unmaking Global Violence. Solicited for Cambridge University Press, Elements Series.
Peer reviewed articles
- Austin, JL. (2020). “The Poetry of Moans and Sighs: Designs for, and against, violence” Frame: Journal of Literary Studies, 33 (2). [PDF]
- Austin, JL. and Leander, A. (2020). “Designing-With/In World Politics: Manifestos for an International Political Design,” Political Anthropological Research in International Social Sciences, 2 (1). Preprint available for download here.
- Austin, JL. (2020). “The Departed Militant: A portrait of joy violence, and political evil,” Security Dialogue, 51 (6). [PDF]
- Austin, JL. (2019). “Towards an International Political Ergonomics,” European Journal of International Relations, 25 (4): 979-1006. [PDF]
- Austin, JL. (2019). “Critique and Post-Critique” Security Dialogue, 50 (4S): 14-15. [PDF]
- Austin, JL. Bellanova, R. & Kaufmann, M. (2019). “Doing and Mediating Critique: An Invitation to Practice Companionship,” Security Dialogue, 50 (1): 3-19. [PDF]
- Austin, JL. (2019). “A Parasitic Critique for International Relations,” International Political Sociology, 13 (2), 215-231. [PDF]
- Austin, JL. (2019). “Security Compositions,” European Journal of International Security, 4 (3), 249-273. [PDF]
- Austin, JL. (2018). “(De)Securitization Dilemmas: The Simultaneous Enaction of Securitization and Desecuritization,” Review of International Studies, 44 (2): 301-323. ** Among most influential articles of 2018. [PDF]
- Austin, JL. (2017). “We have never been civilized: Torture and the Materiality of World Political Binaries,” European Journal of International Relations,23 (1): 49-73. [PDF]
- Austin, JL. & Wennmann, A. (2017). “The Political Economy of Business Engagement in Violence Prevention,” Conflict, Security & Development, 17 (6): 451-472. [PDF]
- Austin, JL. (2016). “Becoming a Torturer: Towards a Global Ergonomics of Care,” International Review of the Red Cross, 98 (903): 859-888. [PDF]
- Austin, JL. (2016). “Torture and the Material-Semiotic Networks of Violence Across Borders,” International Political Sociology, 10 (1): 3-21. [PDF]
- Austin, JL. (2012). “Facebook and Fanatics: Islam and the Arab Revolutions.” Regulating Religion, Summer 2012. [PDF]
Peer reviewed book chapters
- Austin, JL. and Leander, A. (Forthcoming). “The Future of Policy Expertise,” in Handbook of Knowledge and Expertise in International Politics, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Austin, JL. (Forthcoming). “Hot Tea with Sugar and the Translation(s) of Torture,” in Translations of Security, Berling, TV., Gad, U., Petersen, KL. & Waever, O. (Eds.), London: Routledge.
- Austin, JL. and Leander, A. (2021). “Decomposing the Californian Aesthetic,” in Sensing Collectives – Aesthetic and Political Practices Intertwined, Jan-Peter Voß, Nora Rigamonti, Marcela Suarez, Jacob Watson (Eds), Berlin: Transcript Verlag.
- Austin, JL. (2021). “Dangerous Fieldwork,” in Research Methods in Critical Security Studies, Salter, M., Mutlu, C. & Frowd, P. (Eds)., London: Routledge. 3rd Edition.
- Austin, JL. (2021). “Why Perpetrators Matter,” in Permitting the Prohibited: Reconsidering Torture as a Contested Concept, Lang, T. Faye, D. & Cox, R. (Eds)., London: Routledge
- Austin, JL. and Leander, A. (2021). “Visibility: Practices of Seeing and Overlooking,” in Mapping International Practices, Bueger, C., Drieschova, A. & Hopf, T. (Eds), Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Austin, JL. (2020). “Accessing Lifeworlds: Getting people to say the unsayable,” in Secrecy and Methodology in Critical Security Research, De Goede, M. Pallister-Wilinks P., & Bosme, E. (Eds)., London: Routledge, pp. 97-111. [PDF]
- Austin, JL. (2019). “Posthumanism and Perpetrators,” in Routledge Handbook of International Perpetrator Studies, Knittel, S. & Goldberg, Z. (Eds). London: Routledge. [PDF]
- Austin, JL. (2018). “Meaning Making and the Grammar of the City,” in Sustaining Peace in the City: New Perspectives on Urban Safety and Peacebuilding, Wennmann, A. (Ed)., London: Routledge. [PDF]
- Shooting World Politics
With Stephanie Perazzone and Rune Saugmann Andersen. Proposal under review at Environment and Planning D: Society and Space.
- Post-Critique and International Theory
In preparation for submission to International Theory (with Jef Huysmans).
- Doing and Mediating Critique (with Rocco Bellanova and Mareile Kaufmann) [PDF]
Security Dialogue, 50 (1).
contributors including Peter Burgess, Claudia Aradau, Jef Huysmans, Laura Sjoberg, Matthias Leese, Debbie Lisle, Heather Johnson, and Kristoffer Liden.
- Composing Global Security [PDF]
European Journal of International Security, 4 (3).
Contributors including Roland Bleiker, Anna Leander, Michael J. Shapiro, Elspeth Van Veeren, Rocco Bellanova, Rune Saugmann, and Gloria Gonzalez Fuster.
- Austin, JL. (2019). The Violence in Action Dataset (VIAD), under embargo.
A unique dataset containing over 1,000 videos of war crimes, filmed by perpetrators, and distributed on online platforms. Data is coded both quantitatively on key metrics (location, type of violence, intensity of violence, number of perpetrators) and qualitatively through an ethnomethodological sequencing method outlining the individual and group corporeal morphologies.
- Austin, JL. (2019). The Practicing Violence Dataset (PRAVDA), under embargo.
A unique dataset based on the material-semiotic coding of training materials used by military and policing forces in various nation states, outlining the ‘ideal-type’ practices intended to prevent violent human rights abuses, to be used in conjunction with the Violence in Action Dataset (described above).
- Austin, JL. and Leander, A. (2019). Sousveillance in Detention. Violence Prevention (VIPRE) White Paper Series No.5, Geneva: Violence Prevention Initiative.
- Austin, JL. (2017). The Germination of Abusive Violence and its Restraint. Violence Prevention (VIPRE) White Paper Series No.1, Geneva: Violence Prevention Initiative.
- Austin, JL. & Wennmann, A.. (2017). The Private Sector and Violence Prevention in Kenya, 2007-2013, Commissioned for the United Nations and World Bank, Preventing Violent Conflict, a UN-World Bank Group Study, World Bank Group Chief Technical Specialist Fragility, Conflict and Violence Group, Geneva.
- Austin, JL. & Wennmann, A. (2017). The Private Sector and Violence Prevention in Kenya, 2007-2013, Commissioned for the project ‘The Business Community as a Peacebuilding Actor’ undertaken by CDA Collaborative Learning, the Africa Centre for Dispute Settlement (ACDS), and the Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO).
- Austin, JL. & Jütersonke, O. (2016). Understanding the Grammar of the City: A Semiotic Perspective on the Urban Safety and Peacebuilding Nexus, Geneva: Geneva Peacebuilding Platform White Paper Series.
- Austin, JL., et al. (2011). Hamas and the Peace Process: Resistance, Rejectionism, Reconciliation?Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies: University of St Andrews.
For the latest version of any of the working papers below, please contact me directly.
- Austin, JL. and Bramsen, I. Thick Video Description. Solicited and accepted for inclusion in the special issue ‘21st Century Video Data in Social Science Research’ at Sociological Methods and Research, edited by Anne Nassauer.
- Austin, JL. (R & R). Popular Culture and the Elicitation of Practice.Revise and resubmit at International Studies Review.
- Austin, JL. (Under Review). Post-Critique and International Relations Theory.Presented at University of Copenhagen (03.2018) and Pontificial Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro (09.2020), under review.
- Austin, JL. (Under Review). Violence in Action: The Local Ordering of War CrimesPresented at the Swiss Political Science Association 2020 meeting, to be submitted to International Organization.
- Austin, JL. (Draft). Logics of Change-Making in World Politics.Presented at 2019 International Studies Association Meeting, to be submitted to International Theory.
- Austin, JL. and Leander, A. (Under Review). Security and the State of the Sublime.Presented at KCL (18.06.18), Marburg University (05.10.17), University of Amsterdam (2018), and EWIS Krakow 2019.
- Austin, JL. & Bramsen, I. (Under Review). Video Data Analysis in International Relations.Presented at the University of Copenhagen (11.2018).
- Austin, JL. & Leander, A. (Draft). (De)Composing the Californian Aesthetic, presented at ICI Berlin (16.11.2018).
- Austin, JL. & Perazzone, S. (Draft). Photographic Autoelicitation and World Politics, presented at EISA 2019.
- Austin, JL. (Draft). The Symmetrical Socio-Technical Mediations of Science and Torture.
- Austin, JL. (Draft). The Sentimentality of Evil.
- Austin, JL. (Draft). The Standing Reserve of Violence.
- Austin, JL. (Draft). Seeing all evil: The Viral Fracturing of Ontological Security